Our 2017 Speakers
SILC brings together an amazing lineup of sustainability and corporate luminaries, from attorneys and CPAs to CEOs and CFOs to environmental experts and champions for social change.
Wednesday, May 17, 2017—Program
7:45 - 8:20 a.m.
Continental Breakfast and Networking
8:20 - 8:30 a.m.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Andrea Schmitz, MPA, Vice-President for Environment, Health and Safety, Con Edison
- Adam Weinstein, CPA, President, The New York Hedge Fund Roundtable
8:30 - 9:20 a.m.
- Linda A. Klein, JD, President, American Bar Association (ABA); Senior Managing Shareholder, Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Barry C. Melancon, CPA, CGMA, President and CEO, AICPA
9:20 - 10:10 a.m.
Keynote Address: The Accounting Profession and Sustainability
- Mervyn E. King, PhD, LLD (Hon.), Mervyn E. King, Senior Counsel
10:10 - 11:00 a.m.
Integrated Reporting: A Practical Perspective from Preparers and Practitioners
Moderator: Kristen B. Sullivan, CPA, CGMA, Partner, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Marcy Twete, Corporate Responsibility: Americas, Executive Director, USA Foundation, ArcelorMittal
- Aaron Briggs, Executive Counsel, Corporate Securities & Finance, General Electric
- John White, Partner, Cravath, Corporate Department, Chair of its Corporate Governance and Board Advisory practice
11:00 - 11:15 a.m.
11:15 - 12:05 p.m.
Supply Chain Management: Supply Contracts Case Study
- Lee A. DeHihns III, Esq., Partner (Retired), Alston & Bird LLP
- Christopher Johnson, Jr., CEO and Co-Founder, Center for Justice, Rights & Dignity, Retired Vice President and General Counsel, GM North America
- Anita Househam, Senior Manager, UN Global Compact LEAD & Supply Chain Sustainability
- Tensie Whelan, Director, Center for Sustainable Business, NYU Stern School of Business
12:05 - 1:05 p.m.
1:05 - 1:55 p.m.
Building and Leading Sustainable Businesses
Moderator: Michael Kraten, Accounting Professor at Providence College
- Patsy Doerr, Global Head, Corporate Responsibility & Inclusion, Thompson Reuters
- Jason Ackerman, CPA, BNA CPAs & Advisors
- Helena Barton, Partner / Client Service Executive, Deloitte
1:55 - 2:45 p.m.
Case Study: How to Develop a Sustainability Practice, Focus Your Business and Make Money
- John C. Dernbach, Commonwealth Professor of Environmental Law and Sustainability, Director, Environmental Law, and Sustainability Center
2:45 - 3:00 p.m.
3:00 - 3:50 p.m.
Investing in Sustainable Companies
Moderator: Marc L. Rinaldi, CPA, MBA, Partner-in-Charge, Financial Servies, PFK O’Connor Davies, LLP
- Martin Whittaker, CEO, JUST Capital
- John Wilson, Head of Governance, Engagement, and Research at Cornerstone Capital
- Rick Alexander, General Counsel for B Labs
- Lily Trager, Director, Investing with Impact, Morgan Stanley
3:50 - 4:40 p.m.
Making the Case for Corporate Community Engagement -- Legal, Accounting, and Business Strategy Considerations
Moderator: Madden DeGarmo Manion, Chief Development Officer, Points of Light
- Spring Taylor Lacy, Vice President, Corporate & Community Engagement, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Meghan D. Hely Walsh, Public and Charitable Service Manager, Holland & Knight LLP
- Jeffrey Senne, Senior Director, Corporate Responsibility, PwC
4:40 - 5:00 p.m.
A Few Highlights from Our May 16, 2017 Conference
Panel Discussion: Diversity In the Workplace
“There’s no doubt that, for us to remain competitive, the talent, recruitment and retention that we’re going to need in order to stay cutting-edge, in order to innovate, is absolutely critical,”
Making the Case for Corporate Community Engagement
Panel Discussion on Integrated Reporting
Reporting on sustainability can be combined with financial reporting, and companies are taking first steps to communicate this broader perspective to the public.