Michael Kirkland, CPA, CGMA is a seasoned financial executive with over 30 years of experience in the industry, accounting, consulting and business development. In his current role as founder of JMK Consulting, he acts as a technical resource and a strategic advisor to executive management.
Immediately prior to founding JMK Consulting, he was a Director at the New York City-based Deutsche Bank AG, Global Head Product Governance Operational Risk Management Group Policy. Before that role, J. Michael was Deutsche Bank’s Regional Head of the Operational Risk Management Group Americas, New Product Approval; and a Director in Deutsche Bank’s the Accounting Policy and Advisory Group.
Prior to joining Deutsche Bank, J. Michael worked in New York and London at both the Bankers Trust Company and JPMorgan Chase. He began his accounting career at Arthur Andersen & Company, New York Office.
- Michael is a former member of the board of the global Association of International Certified Professional Accountants and is a former member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AIPCA) Board of Directors. He is a former the Institute’s Council and the AICPA National Commission on Diversity and Inclusion. J. Michael is a current member of the ACIPA Assurance Services Executive Committee (ASEC) Sustainability Task Force.
He is a member of Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and a former member CIMA Council and a member of the CIMA Thought Leadership & Business Ethics Committee.
- Michael is also a Past President (2013–2014) of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPAs) and has been a member since 1982. In addition to serving as President and President-Elect, J. Michael has served on the NYSSCPA’s Executive Committee several times and served as Vice President of Professional Issues for a year; he has also chaired several NYSSCPA committees and task forces. He is a Past President (2007-2008) of the NYSSCPA Manhattan/ Bronx Chapter. He currently serves on the NYSSCPA’s Foundation for Accounting Education Curriculum, the Diversity & Inclusion committees and the NYSSCPA AICPA Council. He is a member of the David Moynihan Scholarship Fund Board and serves as the Chair of the Fund-Raising Committee. J. Michael is the 2017-2019 NYSSCPA Sustainability Committee Chair.
He is a member of Sustainability Investment Leadership Council (SILC), a Bronx Community College (BCC) Advisory Board member – Business & Information System Department and the United States Secret Service Electronic Crimes Task Forces member New York/New Jersey.
- Michael is a member of the Accountants Club of America Board of Governors, Advisory Board, and serves as the Chair of the Strategic Alliance & Sponsorship Committee. He was appointed to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) Leadership Group, and is a lifetime member of NABA, the Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA) and Ascend.
- Michael is the recipient of the National Association of Black Accountants, Inc. (NABA) 2013 National Achievement—Public Accounting Award. He was also awarded the NYSSCPA’s 2011 Outstanding CPA in Industry Award, which recognizes CPA financial executives with records of outstanding professional achievement in a private business or industry. In 2014 J. Michael received from the Baltimore City Legislative District 4, a Maryland General Assembly Official Citation in recognition of his accounting leadership, hard work and dedication.
He has authored articles for The Trusted Professional, the newspaper of the NYSSCPA; and has been published in New Accountant, High School Edition–CPA: Career for a Lifetime.
- Michael holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Fordham University, New York College of Business Administration.
He has been married to his wife, Barbara, for 43 years.